Friday 10 May 2013

a terribly British fashion show on the lawn



Bright young highly toned gym-thin things walk arm in arm along a catwalk laid around the rim of a long silently inky rectangular pond.  Behind them is a green green lawn and many finely manicured, dark box hedges, 15ft high, imposing like Easter Island faces. Behind them, giggling and scantily clad models change quickly into sequined evening wear. You'd be forgiven for thinking I've time travelled back to the roaring twenties, and it WAS all very Great Gatsby, but I'm just describing an outdoor fashion show which I got involved in through York Does Vintage, in the spectacular grounds of Heslington Hall campus of York University. 

I'd come, by bus it must be noted, with my stall full of upcycled vintage jewellery. I was given a round table in a lovely white marquee, but must admit to spending most of the night watching the fashion or bedecking myself with glorious 30s peach silk loungewear from the lovely vintage stall next door. I also came away with the most fabulous old parasol, which will look just as good as the centerpiece for  a vintage wedding stall as it will shielding my pale English complexion from the much anticipated summer sun. Maybe one day I'll show you...





No comments:

Post a Comment