Thursday 16 May 2013

vintage bag makeover craft




Old bag gets makeover. Read all about it. No, this is not an over-60s style transformation. I'm talking about the type you keep your personal effects in. I think we've all got a bag that we love that just isn't quite cutting the mustard anymore. The great thing is bags have just as much potential for being souped up as jewellery! I found this fab off white real leather vintage bag in a charity shop yesterday. I paid £7.50, which felt like a lot for a second hand store, but there was something lovely about the saddle bag type shape. And the interlocking ccs on the front oval look like the Celine label, I think [alas, not Chanel, but less obvious is GOOD]. As nice as it was with its 'nothing' matching leather strap, which was half an inch wide, and flat, and had a dull silver buckle for adjustment purposes, I wanted something a big more glam.

Enter the copper coloured statement necklace I found at the same charity shop last week, for £2!

'out with the old' snip snip and the strap is off...

I snipped off the leather strap, used pliers to open the circular jump rings at the end of the necklace, and closed them over the  metal semi-circles that had attached the original strap to the bag. Et voila! Bag transformed. Please try this at home. Its amazing what a difference a new strap makes. Try old necklaces and belts and even silk scarves. Maybe I'll try using those ropes with the metal ends they use for posh queueing next.

No comments:

Post a Comment