Saturday 4 May 2013

white silence: creating peaceful art

Abstract art is HARD. 

Its even harder to make it look effortless. 
I'll never point and laugh at a seemingly simplistic, skillless painting again. I'm all about texture rather than colour, so I was relying on this to make my 'white' painting interesting. 

The aim was to make it relaxing, reference free, however many meanings I strived to pin upon its abstract, sloppy brushstrokes. Funny how we feel the need to qualify the existence of a work by weaving it a frame of reference. Truth is, it'll always have my voice, in the same way as a singer doesn't need words to hold a tune....wish I could hold a tune...deviating....back to the matter in hand. I wanted a painting for my livingroom that I could happily live with without it being attention sapping. To look at it would be calming: chalky cliffs by the beach, the feeling of cold, heavy linen sheets, the peace of an ancient stone monestry. The weathered whiteness of the Minster walls. Well, I can but aspire. Is it a triumph? Did it come out the way I'd pictured it? No and no, but it has its own quiet dignity, and I'm not bored of it yet, so it'll do.


No comments:

Post a Comment