Tuesday 26 March 2013

tubes II- mini hat box demonstration


I have dusty eyebrows.

My sofa is a different colour. 

This evening I took a saw to one of the 'rescued' cardboard tubes. Its more elegant and comfy if you saw whilst lounging on a sofa. Riskier too, perhaps. No matter. I am all intact. And I've got a mini hatbox too. Its more rustic shabby chic than Park Avenue glamour at the moment, so I'm not sure whether it cuts the mustard in terms of luxury packaging, but I've got that charming little sense of achievement glow going on, beneath the dust, so its all good. 

Two sections sawed off,
one longer than the other,
will make up the main bit of the box
-one will go inside the other


I cut out a section so the longer tube
would fit inside the other section.

Like so

The plastic lid made a good template for the lid and base
[made from cereal boxes so I had to use several layers for strength]

I tapped on the base and sawed a thinner bit of tube for the lid
[box upside down in this shot]

Using PVA glue and brown envelopes,
I papier-mached the base to the cyclinder to strengthen it

Neatened with a circle cut from an envelope

And I repeated the process for the lid...

Yes, the edges a rough, but its a box!!

A lick of paint and its getting there.
 Need to glue the inner tube in place,
 line the box, and generally make it pretty...
 Its amazing what office waste can be made into with a bit of imagination and tlc. Still, its all quite rustic looking and I can't help but think of Brie.  I quite like the effect though, and the idea of hand making my packaging from scratch. It might take me longer to make the packaging than the jewellery though, so its probably not the best plan...perhaps I'll need to settle for customizing recycled shop bought boxes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment