Saturday 6 April 2013

Raider of the lost art?


Todays moral dilemma...                           

Upcycler extrodinaire or indiana jones style pillager of the past?

Back in the day, artists used male models for female subjects. I think this Big Bertha of a model might have been of this persuasion. Nice dainty hands on swarthy man arms! The facial features are superbly and confidently rendered, but even that doesn't save this from being a clunky and disturbing painting.  I'll have to eat my words when it turns out to be a copy of a famous work or a long lost masterpiece! 

Now that I've rubbished this so wholeheartedly, I wonder if you'll be more receptive to my next idea... to use this painting as either a model for my upcycled jewellery [isn't that ear just waiting to be pierced with a dangly heirloom of the future?] or [shocking, I know] I'd *paint*over*it*. Whispers. Because its got the most fabulous crackled texture. Its wholly holey [not holy]. With subtle neutral oils or chalk paint, some carefully applied butterfly wings or antique jewel remnants, maybe even a bit of subtle pattern painted on, chinoiserie style, it could be breathtaking, modern, magical. 

The vendor at Banana Warehouse here in York wants £150. Back down to earth with a bang. I'd have paid £30. Its niggling away at me though. I'll keep my eyes open for something similar, and maybe even think up a way of creating a modern equivalent. Unless anyone reading this has an unwanted artwork in a dusty corner of their attic in need of a major makeover?

No comments:

Post a Comment