Tuesday 19 March 2013

Foxy lady and the tubes-the eco packaging quest continues


One of the unusual things about the upcycled jewellery I make is that it is eco-friendly. The other is that it is luxurious. The Romeo and Juliet of craft. Is it possible to combine these qualities in packaging, I wonder? Can I ever unite them happily ever after? 

I've had trouble tracking down UK suppliers of eco packaging, but tinybox.co.uk, boxylady.co.uk and eco-craft.co.uk seem good. The options seemed to be
1 recycled kraft cardboard boxes [wholesome and stylish but not very glam] 
2 vintage boxes [very expensive but can be lovely] 
3 tins [I could use a metal stamp to punch Moth&Magpie into the lid]. 

But then I started looking through the paper waste outside a posh jewellery shop.....yup, city vixen instincts kicked in yet again. I was wearing a brown fur coat at the time, visibility was low as it was snowing and dark, but I managed not to be mistaken for a fox, so all in all very successful, plus I came away with a number  of large sturdy cardboard tubes. No, not makeshift foxholes...


Yes...I feel a plan forming...

My thought is they could be made into de-lightful mini hat boxes. Recycled, personal, pretty.... the perfect eco packaging. I'll need a saw, some stiff card, papier mache and a lot of patience, but it might just work. If I attempt it I'll do step by step photos so you can try too; if it doesn't end tragically, that is. 

plotting turns to glee


A sensible tube shot without my face in it



I took this with my toe-hurrah for holey tights!


No comments:

Post a Comment