Thursday 1 May 2014

abacus+ great grandfathers scarf = necklace






Always at the back of a wardrobe or the bottom of a box-too precious to bin, too decrepit to use 
-  we all have something like this: be it a family heirloom or something to ignorant eyes humble but to one's self rich with childhood memory. I've had my great grandfathers tattered silk scarf since I was a teenager, when I wore it once or twice. Pleasingly, it sets off my skin tone rather well,  so I have been wanting to make it wearable again for some time now.


But how?
 Today, inspiration struck. 
A Chinese abacus, its apple red wooden beads trapped in the black lacquered frame, challenging me to make something of it as it perched incongruously on the baby clothes stand at a local charity shop.




There were splinters and some hammering, but the beads were gleaned, berry-like, and ready for their new life. I ruthlessly forced the fine, rapidly shredding silk through the generously sized holes; the design dictated by how far along I could push each bead. A double knot at the back and it was ready to wear. 

I am pleased to find my scarf/necklace/necklarf now looks rather lovely in my hair and I might even wear it round my neck. Four generations and 100 years later, the scarf comes full circle.


T e a c h  u s  t o  c o u n t  o u r  d a y s                                                  p s a l m 9 0 v 1 2

No comments:

Post a Comment